httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new watchdog module
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:25:45 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

>> Comments?
>
> I would rather make this kind of thing (scheduled tasks) part of the
> MPMs, as they would be able to just use one of their exists task threads
> to handle a scheduled task.
>
> The Simple MPM has the ability to do this.

Scheduled task are just one of the problems.
It executes inside each child process, but that isn't
what we need in all cases.
Like with heartbeat it must allow execution in a
single child process only as well, and continue
on next when the first one dies.

Think that duplicating the code inside each mpm
would only make things needlessly complex.

And even if inside mpm, because the task worker
thread that executes different callbacks at different
intervals has to be detached all the time, there's no
difference between using existing or creating a
new thread thought.
Well the thread could be used for request processing
instead doing timer step resolution sleep,
but in that case there is no guarantee one will have
a free one when needed.

Regards
--
^(TM)