httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject new watchdog module
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:09:32 GMT
Hi,

I would like to commit this module to trunk.
It's a watchdog module that creates a worker threads
either in parent, child via an API, and it's not for
standalone use, but for other module usage like
mod_heartbeat, probably mod_jk and others that need
maintenance threads.

The reason is because couple of modules would benefit
from this functionality, and this adds a common API.

Usage is very simple
1. ap_watchdog_get_instance
2. set singleton mode (only one child will execute)
3. register a callback(s) with desired interval

Module can either use pre-created watchdog instance
or create it's own in special cases thus creating
additional thread(s)

For example heartbeat would be by an order of magnitude
simpler (I took some concepts from it)
Also I'd love to register the callbacks for balancer
so transferred method can normalize the load.

Comments?

Regards
--
^(TM)