httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r729586 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/util_script.c
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:40:31 GMT

On 8 Jan 2009, at 10:34, Joe Orton wrote:

> I don't see why 504 is more appropriate than 500 for this case.
> 504 is specifically defined for cases where the server is acting as a
> gateway or proxy, which it is not here.  (by the 2616 definitions of
> gateway and proxy)
> joe

One might consider the G of CGI a clue.

The fact that the backend is (usually) an application running locally
on the
same machine as the webserver doesn't preclude the latter being a

Come to think of it, CGI errors fall into more categories than we allow.
A misconfiguration is indeed Internal Server Error.  But a script
that generates
garbage is an External Server Error, and a 502 response would be in
It would be no bad thing to point the finger of blame at broken scripts
rather than confuse the authors with "internal" errors.

Nick Kew

View raw message