httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r729586 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/util_script.c
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:40:31 GMT

On 8 Jan 2009, at 10:34, Joe Orton wrote:

> I don't see why 504 is more appropriate than 500 for this case.
>
> 504 is specifically defined for cases where the server is acting as a
> gateway or proxy, which it is not here.  (by the 2616 definitions of
> gateway and proxy)
>
> joe

One might consider the G of CGI a clue.

The fact that the backend is (usually) an application running locally
on the
same machine as the webserver doesn't preclude the latter being a
gateway.

Come to think of it, CGI errors fall into more categories than we allow.
A misconfiguration is indeed Internal Server Error.  But a script
that generates
garbage is an External Server Error, and a 502 response would be in
order.
It would be no bad thing to point the finger of blame at broken scripts
rather than confuse the authors with "internal" errors.

--
Nick Kew