httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Configuration change for cvs@httpd?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 04:04:15 GMT
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I am completely uninterested in "fixing" the config just because some
> person reflexively does a reply-all and then doesn't edit their own
> destination addresses.  There is nothing to fix here.  A bounce is what
> they are supposed to receive to keep the discussion on dev.

It is not only one person who is running up against this.  Instead of
unilaterally stating that there is nothing to fix, I asked first to
get a consensus of folks on-list - I never asked Joe to activate any
changes (as I didn't think we had a consensus yet) - he did so on his
own volition.

I believe that asking folks to change their sending address, or live
with bounces, or remembering to remove addresses every time is busy
work for no real purpose.  It creates an additional barrier to
commenting and should be avoided.  We have software that should
conform to what we desire - we shouldn't need to work around broken
configs.

BTW, if you maintain that the list config is immutable, then my
suggestion would be to shut down cvs@ and route commits to dev@.  This
way we don't place unnecessary barriers to discussions around commits.
 If folks can't live with the commit traffic, they shouldn't be on
dev@ in the first place...  -- justin