httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_backtrace and mod_whatkilledus to trunk?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:27:29 GMT
trawick@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2009 11:16am, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
>  > How do you propose to deal with configuration?  Specifically,
>  >
>  > the interaction with enable-exception-hook, which means that
>  >
>  > a server built without it breaks the expectation that new
>  >
>  > modules can be added using apxs?
>
> I may misunderstand your concern here.

There's a general expectation that you can compile modules
using apxs, without having to recompile the core.  So long
as the fatal-exception hook is a compile-time option,
your modules break that expectation.

If your modules go into trunk, that puts them on track for
future release versions where they'll be exposed to users
who can't be expected to recompile the core.

OK, come to think of it, we do have precedents, like LDAP
modules requiring the optional support in APR.  But at
least that's moving in the right direction with APR
modularisation.  Ho, hum.

--
Nick Kew