httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r733493 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGESdocs/man/rotatelogs.8 docs/manual/programs/rotatelogs.xmlsupport/rotatelogs.c
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:03:31 GMT
On 12.01.2009 11:19, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 12.01.2009 10:04, Joe Orton wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:36:07PM -0000, rjung@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: rjung
>>> Date: Sun Jan 11 09:36:07 2009
>>> New Revision: 733493

>>> Log:
>>> Allow to trigger rotatelogs log file rotation from
>>> using HUP and INT signals to the rotatelogs process.
>>>
>>> This is helpful, when log activity is low, but you want
>>> rotatelogs to close the open log files.
>>
>> Sending SIGTERM to the rotatelogs process and having the parent recycle
>> it should have done that already, surely, without adding all this
>> complexity to rotatelogs?
>
> Thanks for the hint. In fact I just tested it and it does work for
> rotatelogs used in CustomLog, but not for the ErrorLog one. That one
> simply dies, no automatic restart and further error messages are lost
> (quickly tested on Solaris, and only with 2.2.x, needs some further
> testing for trunk).

It's the same for trunk: CustomLog automatically gets respawned,
ErrorLog not.

The code uses ap_open_piped_log() in server/log.c to open access logs.
This in turn uses piped_log_spawn(), which registers
piped_log_maintenance() using apr_proc_other_child_register().

In piped_log_maintenance() the logger is automatically restarted using
again piped_log_spawn(), when the conditions for restarting are
appropriate. All this is true if AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS is defined.

ErrorLog is handled by open_error_log() also in server/log.c. This calls
log_child(), which uses apr_proc_create() to create the logger, but does
not register any restarter.

When AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS is not set, access log handling works
like error log handling, i.e. without automatic restart. Reliable piped
logs seem to be used, whenever APR defines APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD, which
seems to be true by default (no auto-detection).

Does it make sense to add the reliable piped logs way of handling
loggers to the error log? Or is there any known dependency between the
code used in ap_open_piped_log() and the error log itself?

Regards,

Rainer