httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r733493 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGESdocs/man/rotatelogs.8 docs/manual/programs/rotatelogs.xmlsupport/rotatelogs.c
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:19:30 GMT
On 12.01.2009 10:04, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:36:07PM -0000, rjung@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: rjung
>> Date: Sun Jan 11 09:36:07 2009
>> New Revision: 733493

>> Log:
>> Allow to trigger rotatelogs log file rotation from
>> using HUP and INT signals to the rotatelogs process.
>>
>> This is helpful, when log activity is low, but you want
>> rotatelogs to close the open log files.
>
> Sending SIGTERM to the rotatelogs process and having the parent recycle
> it should have done that already, surely, without adding all this
> complexity to rotatelogs?

Thanks for the hint. In fact I just tested it and it does work for
rotatelogs used in CustomLog, but not for the ErrorLog one. That one
simply dies, no automatic restart and further error messages are lost
(quickly tested on Solaris, and only with 2.2.x, needs some further
testing for trunk).

> A lot of the stuff you're doing in the new signal handler is not
> async-signal safe, so -1.  (closeFile notably calls pool functions)

Yes. I'll see whether I could safely work around that.

After I will have investigated more about your above hint and the
possibilities of implementing it async signal safe, we might have
another check, whether the use case makes sense as an internal
functionality of rotatelogs or not?

Regards,

Rainer