httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: Configuration change for cvs@httpd?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 05:45:21 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> BTW, if you maintain that the list config is immutable, then my
>> suggestion would be to shut down cvs@ and route commits to dev@.  This
>> way we don't place unnecessary barriers to discussions around commits.
>>  If folks can't live with the commit traffic, they shouldn't be on
>> dev@ in the first place...  -- justin
>
> That makes it impossible to find discussion related to specific
> pieces of code by searching the archives of the discussion list.
> No thanks.  As I said, if you don't like the bounces, then the
> commits configuration can be set to black-hole misdirected messages
> that have dev@httpd on the to/cc list.  That way, none of us have
> to delete them twice.

1) Bounces are lame.  Personally, since this irks, I simply choose to solve
this issue by not repling to cvs@ posts b/c I know it happens and its annoying.

2)  I'm involved in _several_ communities, as most of us here are.  Both
inside and outside the ASF.  The Rule as documented on at least 50% of them is
to always Reply-To-All so that non-subscribes that 1-off post get replies.

3) CVS/DEV at lists serve a purpose.  Many people choose digest, or RSS, or
god knows what for cvs@.  Its good for that to be commits only.

4) See # 3 above; that said, in other projects, though I don't seem to mind it
there, the reply-to-alls do go through to the cvs@/commits@ lists.

Now, I don't care where we end up too much if at all, but bounces must go, its
just as bad to delete a bounce as it is a dup.  Not to mention the bounces
come to my INBOX rather then a folder.

Consultant          - P6M7G8 Inc.                http://p6m7g8.net
Director IT         - RideCharge, Inc.           http://ridecharge.com
Contractor          - PositiveEnergyUSA          http://positiveenergyusa.com