httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <>
Subject Re: httpd build variables
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:00:09 GMT
On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 02:55:24PM +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Most build variables for httpd are used via APACHE_SUBST, which means
> they get added to build/
> A) Where to define them?
> ========================
> There are two places, were a lot of ariables are added via APACHE_SUBST:
> Defined in acinclude.m4 and called in
> It contains 75 calls to APACHE_SUBST.
> 2) Directly in
> It contains about 21 calls to APACHE_SUBST.
> Is there any concept, whether APACHE_SUBST for a new variable should be
> put into APACHE_GEN_CONFIG_VARS or directly into

Generally, I'd put new SUBST calls in, grouped near to the
places where the new variables are being defined.

> I can see that the ones in the macro will be included last into
>, but apart from that any rules?

Not really, it's a bit random!

> B) Should they be installed?
> ============================
> The script build/ deletes a lot of variables before
> installing build/ Is there any concept, which variables
> should get installed, and which ones should be removed before installing
> the file?

It should be trimmed by unless you have a good reason why
an external module would need to use the new variable at build time.
Generally, I'd say: try to export as little as possible in because otherwise it becomes part of the API and some
third-party module will depend on it.

Regards, Joe

View raw message