httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MaxClients inside Location?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:11:32 GMT

On Jan 20, 2009, at 2:48 PM, John ORourke wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I couldn't find the answer to this in various user docs/forums/etc,
> apologies if it's a simple thing.
>
> I have a particularly busy URI on a particular VirtualHost and I'd
> like to limit how many clients can request that URL at a time.  I've
> been looking for things like being able to use MaxClients inside a
> <Location>.
>
> I don't know where in the server/request life cycle the connection
> gets handed off to a child process, but I guess it'll be before the
> request is read in - if so we're probably not going to be able to do
> this.  The requests are large POST requests, so we'd need to read
> the request headers before allocating a child process, we can't just
> rewrite the request.

The child processes inherit an open file descriptor for each listener
configured.  The parent (running as root) attaches to the socket,
which may be on a privileged port.  The children (which change uid)
call accept() on the existing open file descriptors.

Hence, the children perform the complete request processing cycle,
from accepting the connections to reading the request headers, AAA
assessment and enforcement, reading the request body, processing the
requests to generating and writing the response.

The first time you learn of a request is after the TCP socket has been
accept()ed, but unless you use IP based virtual hosts exclusively the
first time you can enforce resource use is after the request headers
are read.  You would be using some kind of shared memory buffer to
keep track of how many children are serving a particular vhost, or
perhaps you can leverage the scoreboard.

> My 'plan B' is to run another httpd on a different port to handle
> these requests - I have control of the clients so can change the
> URI.  That's actually sounding like a much simpler solution now!

Or you use a single httpd with mod_proxy to ProxyPass and
ProxyPassReverse to the individual vhosts.  But you better make sure
that mod_proxy does something your clients can deal with: it'll throw
you 504 responses if it can't connect to the backend.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org