httpd-dev mailing list archives

From traw...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Re: Graceful restart not so graceful?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:49:28 GMT
On Jan 11, 2009 11:34am, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> thanks for following up on this and sorry for the late response.
>

> On Wednesday 07 January 2009, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> > Initial testing of your idea for a timeout was promising.
>

> I couldn't reproduce any hangs under linux with the patch you commited
>
> to trunk.

Thanks for all of your work on this issue!

> In my patch I tried to avoid that an idle apache wakes periodically
>
> for no good reasons. But if you don't think that is a problem, please
>
> backport your patch to 2.2.x.

I'd also prefer that prefork doesn't wake up unless it has work, but I
think the simpler, localized change which was committed will be less
trouble in the long run.

wrt backporting:
I think that modern Linux and modern Solaris, perhaps the only platforms
tested so far, both work for the same reason under the covers. Has anyone
tested with regular poll()? If not, I can try to test another platform or
at least dumb down APR to bypass epoll/event queue/etc.