httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Pranav Desai" <pranavade...@gmail.com>
Subject Need suggestions for adding tproxy support to mod_proxy
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:45:24 GMT
Hello All,

I am trying to add tproxy4
(http://www.balabit.com/support/community/products/tproxy/) support to
the mod_proxy to achieve transparency. It basically involves a kernel
patch which allows binding of a socket to foreign address among other
things. At the app layer we only need to set the setsockopt()

Here is what I am thinking of doing and I would like your input as to
whether this is the right approach.

* Modify ap_proxy_connect_backend() to just create the connection.
Basically, remove the apr_socket_connect() part.
* Add a new proxy_run_pre_connection hook.
* Add the tproxy specific code in a module hooked in the above hook.
Just needs a setsockopt() and the client IP to bind the socket to.
* And then do the connect.

Is this is an overkill? Should this be done simply by modifying the
ap_proxy_connect_backend() ?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
-- Pranav