httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jayasingh Samuel <jayasingh.sam...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Dyanamic loading of apache hash table.
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 02:39:06 GMT

Shariq,  Thanks for your reply, I think we can use the Shared memory if we have one file which
has to be shared among all the process/thread, but my problem is i have 100's of files in
directory and i need to store them all in a hash map and arrays.

Also I need to malloc the arrays structure dynamically. Will this possible using the shared
memory or there is any other technique for the same..?

Thanks,
Jaysingh.

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:33:08 -0800From: shariqrizvi@gmail.comTo: jayasingh.samuel@hotmail.comSubject:
Re: Dyanamic loading of apache hash table.Hey Jaysingh,I am also running into this problem
of having to reload some state in a module through a handler. As you mentioned - the problem
here is that the loaded state is forked by the Apache process/thread structure and hence only
the process/thread that serves the handler will reload its state.I am thinking of solving
this problem in the following ways - 1) Maintain the state that needs to be reloaded in shared
memory - so that all Apache processes/threads can read the same version. I am guessing this
will be expensive.2) Terminate the processes/threads whose state has become obsolete.On top
of the mod_rewrite recommended by someone else here, I think mod_perl does something similar
too - because it has to look for modified Perl files on disk on every request.What are your
thoughts?thanks,Shariq