httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: proxy_ajp connect timeout fix.
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:44:38 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> I guess you should move this over to dev@apr as this is likely a problem
> with the windows specific connect call not returning immediately.

I moved this over to dev@apr as suggested, but have not received any

Note that I applied Matt Stevenson's suggested fix from earlier in this
thread [http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=122358323701009&w=2] and
the connection timeout then worked on Windows as expected with 8 dead
ports being checked in between 1 and 2 seconds -- which is what I'd
expect given a connectiontimeout of 160ms.

It would seem proxy_util.c should not have to do this but rather that
whatever is needed to get connection timeouts to work on a given
platform should be done in apr_socket_connect().

This raises another question, though.  Earlier in this thread there were
claims that Matt Stevenson's patch had adverse performance impacts, e.g.
on HTTPS.  Can someone explain how this could be?  I ask in part as
unless/until someone figures out the right fix in APR, I'll have to use
Matt's patch -- and would like to understand the downsides and mitigate
them if possible.

--
Jess Holle