httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <chr...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject Re: mod_fcgid incubation?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 21:28:52 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> The mod_fastcgi implementation has the following terms;
>
>   Open Market permits you to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license
>   this Software and the Documentation solely for the purpose of
>   implementing the FastCGI specification defined by Open Market or
>   derivative specifications publicly endorsed by Open Market and
>   promulgated by an open standards organization and for no other
>   purpose, provided that existing copyright notices are retained in all
>   copies and that this notice is included verbatim in any distributions.
>
>   No written agreement, license, or royalty fee is required for any of
>   the authorized uses.  Modifications to this Software and Documentation
>   may be copyrighted by their authors and need not follow the licensing
>   terms described here, but the modified Software and Documentation must
>   be used for the sole purpose of implementing the FastCGI specification
>   defined by Open Market or derivative specifications publicly endorsed
>   by Open Market and promulgated by an open standards organization and
>   for no other purpose.  If modifications to this Software and
>   Documentation have new licensing terms, the new terms must protect Open
>   Market's proprietary rights in the Software and Documentation to the
>   same extent as these licensing terms and must be clearly indicated on
>   the first page of each file where they apply.
>
> I'd call that a category X license, submission denied.

   So far as I know -- I'll check with the author -- mod_fcgid
is a completely separate implementation from mod_fastcgi.  I don't
know of any generally shared or derived code, but I will check.

   The exception, I think, might be the FCGI protocol itself, which
specifies the byte-level structure of the headers that are passed
back and forth during communication with FCGI application processes.

   This definition lives in fcgi_protocol.h in both mod_fastcgi,
and appears in very similar forms in both mod_fcgid's fcgi_protocol.h
and also httpd's modules/proxy/fcgi_protocol.h.  Look for the fcgi_header
or FCGI_Header structure, and the various FCGI_* #defines for type
values, roles, etc.

   It's a little hard for me to see how alternate implementations of
the FastCGI spec could get away without doing something like this at
a minimum, though.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B