httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: new modules in trunk
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:30:15 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Kevac Marko wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:
>>> mod_heartmonitor: Collects these Multicast heartbeats for other modules to
>>> use.
>> Interesting. Is there other modules that create separate thread(s) for
>> bypassing request-response thing?
>
> Considered doing this for the data vs. control channel of mod_ftp, but it's
> essentially not necessary and introduces additional overhead to set up and
> tear down threads during operation.  A thread pool was an alternative, but
> in the end, it looked too expensive to consider.

For beartbeat/heartmonitor, originally, I wrote them to spawn a thread
off the master process, but code running as root sucks, and if there
were any problems like it crashing, it would fubar up the entire httpd
process chain.

Later I moved it to using a thread on each worker process, since if it
crashes, I still have other workers, and now the code is running in the
child without privileges.

If the core fully supported UDP and multicast listeners, it should be
possible to write the heartmonitor module as just a protocol module,
although heartbeat would still likely need its current structure.

-Paul