httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: OCSP Stapling support for mod_ssl
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:01:38 GMT
On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:13:52PM +0000, Dr Stephen Henson wrote:
> At Joe's request I've posted the last comment here. It is in reference
> to bug #43822 which is OCSP Stapling support for mod_ssl:

Thanks for posting.

> The mutex code has been removed and some dummy functions to replace them
> for now. I can change ssl_mutex_*() to apr_global_mutex_t and some
> additional parameters for ssl_mutex_init() and ssl_mutex_reinit() and
> removal of the special case code (AP_SOCACHE_FLAG_TOTMPSAFE etc) since
> the mutex for stapling will always be used.

I'm not sure whether it's worth abstracting the ssl_mutex code any
further.  Really all you need to do is call apr_global_mutex_* at the
right times and log errors appropriately, as far as I can tell.

> The timeout option doesn't currently work. There is support for timeout
> in the generic-ish OCSP but it is hard coded. I could change that to
> take a parameter.
>
> The uri and certificate parsing code does duplicate some used in some
> static functions in the OCSP code (but with hard coded parameters).
> Again that could be removed by some generalisation.

That all sounds good.

> I haven't at this stage altered the session caching code. It still makes
> use of the SSL session cache to store OCSP responses. Would a separate
> cache be in order, which works in a manner similar to the SSL session
> cache? The requirements for the OCSP stapling cache differ from the
> session cache: only a small number (one per certificate) of entries of
> relatively small size (under 1K) will be needed but they are likely to
> persist for longer (several minutes).

Yup, I'd hope this is what the ap_socache.h interface makes simple:
create a separate socache instance to cache the OCSP responses, so the
dummy SSL_SESSION structures won't be needed.  The "hints" interface
lets the caller pass through the expected object size.

Regards, Joe