httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r711146 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: modules/arch/unix/mod_unixd.c os/unix/unixd.c os/unix/unixd.h server/mpm/experimental/event/event.c server/mpm/prefork/prefork.c server/mpm/worker/worker.c
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:17:22 GMT

On 4 Nov 2008, at 21:14, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2008, at 7:44 PM, niq@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: niq
>> Date: Mon Nov  3 16:44:56 2008
>> New Revision: 711146

>> Log:
>> Further unixd hacks to remove duplication between old-unixd and
>> mod_unixd,
>> and get it working with old MPMS[1] + mod_unixd.  It's still an
>> uneasy
>> split, as some modules (mod_cgid, suexec)[2] also use unixd.
>> More thinking+hacking due.
>>
>> [1] Should be prefork/worker/event, but only worker is tested.
>> [2] cgid is OK, suexec is untested.
>>

> I was playing around with avoiding the overlap we have a unix.h
> which somewhat-matches stuff in mod_unixd.c (I was doing this
> to create a mod_unixd.h) but this started getting screwy fast.
>
> What, exactly, do we want the functional and architectural
> differences between unixd.c and mod_unixd.c to be??

The old unixd felt like a pot-pourri.  The new mod_unixd
attempts to focus on a single task, now called drop_privileges.
We don't have a clean break, 'cos I've been lazy and left the
unixd config as-is, including the is-suexec-enabled flag which
doesn't really belong in mod_unixd.

Apart from that, what remains in os/unix is just whatever doesn't
belong in mod_unixd.

--
Nick Kew