httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Intent to Roll 2.3.0-alpha
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:58:12 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>> Paul Querna wrote:
>>> Hi dev@,
>>>
>>> FYI, I intend to roll 2.3.0-alpha, our first release from trunk in
>>> about 3 years, on Saturday December 6th.
>> How about starting the process not with a roll, but with a proposed
>> software configuration and feature set?
>
> IMHO, that's the difference between having a dialog and having something
> in hand to comment on.  With the .0-alpha tarball, people could make a
> specific comment, such as [T +10 days from now]...
>
> Nick Kew writes:
>> Just OTTOMH and from a quick look at 2.3.0, I see we are missing:
>>
>>    - Expression parser (I dropped the ball there but intend to
>>      pick it up)
>
> and then that's an action item on yourself for 2.3.1.  I don't think
> anyone expects 2.3.0 to be feature complete, that's why we let 2.3.x
> hang around a little while.
>
> +1 to creating a candidate.

Exactly -- basing the first alpha around a long feature list will just
delay it too long.  Version numbers are cheap, and when a feature is
done, it goes into the next alpha :-)

IMO one of the lessons of 2.1.x is that having 5-10 alpha releases are
just fine, as long as they are labeled as such, and it significantly
helps the code base in a relatively short period, over just continuing
on with trunk, like we have for the last 3 years.

-Paul