httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: simple mpm's design and socket accepts
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:10:13 GMT
Ryan Phillips wrote:
> Right now an accept() relies on a free thread in the worker thread pool. So
> there is a 1-to-1 relationship on the accept and threadpool. I know that
> lighttpd attempts to accept 100 client connections, which seems a bit more
> efficient. There may be quite a bit of contention for an accepted client
> and a worker thread with Simple.

simple_io_accept actually calls accept() from the 'event thread', after
the socket is accepted, yes, it is pushed right away to a thread, in
simple_io_setup_conn(), which tries to do an initial read().

> I would like people's opinions on the current design and the following
> approach (perhaps this is in Simple, but I'm missing it, this is my first
> dive into a MPM):
>
> Listener (one of these)
>
>  1. Accept N connections and place them in a _new_ pollset
>  2. Push pollset onto Queue
>
> The pollset is specific to that N group of clients.
>
> Dispatcher (Worker Threads)
>
>  1. Pop a pollset of clients from the queue
>  2. On state change of the pollset:
>     a. Remove client from pollset
>     b. fetch client work thread from pool
>     c. have thread process client
>     d. add socket back to pollset (if needed)
>  3. Repeat poll on client sockets until empty
>
> The current simple mpm seems to have contention on accepts. The way I
> outlined has potentially a large thread overhead, but a bit less than the
> 1-1 ratio. Only active clients would have their own thread.

Yes, I agree that the approach you outlined above does make sense,
however, it really depends on async *reads* working through the entire
input filter stack, otherwise the Dispatcher is still going to block on
different clients while its parsing the HTTP input headers.

Anyone have thoughts on making async reads work :-) ?

Thanks,

Paul