httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:25:28 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>>> I think MPMs are a design mis-feature.  The fact that the same
>>> directive value can be (and is!) interpreted in non-uniform ways by
>>> different MPMs bugs me to no end.  -- justin
>>
>> That is a flaw in the MPMs themselves (overloading a term is evil I
>> agree), but not in the MPM concept as a whole.
>>
>> The fact we have MPMs at all gives us the power to develop something
>> like the simple MPM alongside existing stable MPMs, without being
>> forced to endure a period of instability where the server doesn't work
>> at all.

+++1

> Its trunk, it better be unstable or we are doing something wrong.

Don't worry, if you accidentally commit some rock-solid code, we'll still
forgive you :)

> Thats why I think we should delete prefork, worker, event, threadpool,
> perchild, and leader MPMs.

-1 to worker, prefork.  As far as event, leader, threadpool, they seem to
be proofs of concept realized in Simple (yes? no?) and should be svn rm'ed.

What about perchild?  No answer, but removing it at this instant doesn't
leave it glaring in our face that this problem set has not been solved.