httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:09:31 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I think MPMs are a design mis-feature.  The fact that the same
> directive value can be (and is!) interpreted in non-uniform ways by
> different MPMs bugs me to no end.  -- justin

That is a flaw in the MPMs themselves (overloading a term is evil I
agree), but not in the MPM concept as a whole.

The fact we have MPMs at all gives us the power to develop something
like the simple MPM alongside existing stable MPMs, without being forced
to endure a period of instability where the server doesn't work at all.

It also allows us to support newer OS features on modern systems,
without being forced to ignore those features because legacy platform X
doesn't support it. Legacy platform X can carry on using prefork (or
whatever).

Regards,
Graham