httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: httpd win64 binaries
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 07:10:21 GMT
Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> The subject of not having an official binary package was brought up.
> We couldn't think of a reason why not except no body wants or has the
> time to do it.

That's not it.

The problem is MS's creation.  We can either ship an 'official' msvcrt.dll
based, DDK-built flavor, or the crap of the month 2005 or 2005sp1 or 2008
or 2008sp1 binary.  Let's face it, flavor of the week doesn't work for an
approach to a C runtime.

I'm likely to ship that DDK built flavor if only to help ensure compatibility,
and let the Studio team know that they don't know what they are doing.  They
deliver a fun product for building something.  I know, I used it almost for
2 decades.

They are entirely clueless at delivering a product to be used across multiple
developers from multiple organizations to accomplish multiple purposes.  They
just can't grok that much multiplicity, and observe the central MS tenant of
forcing to upgrade early and upgrade often.  This isn't compatible with open
source binaries.  Just look at how frequently gcc is willing to bump the ver
major.... like next to never.