httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:34:43 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

>> We aren't there.  I don't care about prefork, if it isn't threaded there
>> is no point, but simple isn't the answer.  Because it's a static pool
>> of threads, it's no different than win32, but win32 really screams for
>> a resizeable thread pool for developer's installations and such (varies
>> between very small footprint and a modest number of connections).
>
> Then improve the threadpool code in apr-util, the simple mpm itself has
> very little to do with the thread pooling implementation:

You miss my point though.  Sure - we can invest 100% effort into simple,
and within months demonstrate that all other mpms are inferior.  At that
point we deprecate and make 'simple' the default.  Next release, svn rm
those ancient sources.  Great!

It just doesn't seem to be worth forcing this unless there is a measurable
benefit to cutting out or rearranging the mpm hooks.  And if there is, then
maybe they just need refactoring (?)

I'm all over the idea of calling all old mpm's retired.  Just didn't see a
reason to svn rm the code until 'simple' is proven in the wild.