httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:22:54 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> I'd prefer that we remove all MPMs and teach whatever remains to be
>> able to emulate prefork (multiple-process/single-thread) or worker
>> (multiple-process/multiple-thread) at run-time.
>
> I suspect we are still a ways away from this.  If we can make the point
> that there's a obvious one-and-only mpm, then yes, maybe it's time.

On unix, I think we are much closer than you think:
SimpleThreadCount 1
SimpleProcCount 200

Would behave very similar to prefork does today. (and we can make some
further optimizations when threadCount == 1, but those are optimizations
to be done later imo).

> We aren't there.  I don't care about prefork, if it isn't threaded there
> is no point, but simple isn't the answer.  Because it's a static pool
> of threads, it's no different than win32, but win32 really screams for
> a resizeable thread pool for developer's installations and such (varies
> between very small footprint and a modest number of connections).

Then improve the threadpool code in apr-util, the simple mpm itself has
very little to do with the thread pooling implementation:

http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr-util/1.3/group___a_p_r___util___t_p.html

It has the start number and can spawn more -- but I don't think it
actively reaps idle threads.