httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 20:47:36 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I'd prefer that we remove all MPMs and teach whatever remains to be
> able to emulate prefork (multiple-process/single-thread) or worker
> (multiple-process/multiple-thread) at run-time.

I suspect we are still a ways away from this.  If we can make the point
that there's a obvious one-and-only mpm, then yes, maybe it's time.

We aren't there.  I don't care about prefork, if it isn't threaded there
is no point, but simple isn't the answer.  Because it's a static pool
of threads, it's no different than win32, but win32 really screams for
a resizeable thread pool for developer's installations and such (varies
between very small footprint and a modest number of connections).

We'll truly stall if we begin the "one right mpm" war.  What we can do
is to make the mpm itself fairly innocuous, and move out some stuff from
the mpm to modules or core (e.g. like the new arch/unix/mod_unixd!!!)
That is measureable progress :)