httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Phillips <r...@trolocsis.com>
Subject simple mpm's design and socket accepts
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:51:46 GMT
Hi all.

I've been reading into the guts of the new simple mpm and have some
thoughts.

Right now an accept() relies on a free thread in the worker thread pool. So
there is a 1-to-1 relationship on the accept and threadpool. I know that
lighttpd attempts to accept 100 client connections, which seems a bit more
efficient. There may be quite a bit of contention for an accepted client
and a worker thread with Simple.

I would like people's opinions on the current design and the following
approach (perhaps this is in Simple, but I'm missing it, this is my first
dive into a MPM):

Listener (one of these)

 1. Accept N connections and place them in a _new_ pollset
 2. Push pollset onto Queue

The pollset is specific to that N group of clients.

Dispatcher (Worker Threads)

 1. Pop a pollset of clients from the queue
 2. On state change of the pollset:
    a. Remove client from pollset
    b. fetch client work thread from pool
    c. have thread process client
    d. add socket back to pollset (if needed)
 3. Repeat poll on client sockets until empty

The current simple mpm seems to have contention on accepts. The way I
outlined has potentially a large thread overhead, but a bit less than the
1-1 ratio. Only active clients would have their own thread.

-Ryan