httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: PHP was Re: Apache httpd 2.2.10 test tarballs available...
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:31:11 GMT
This is getting of topic in dev, but...

On 10/8/08 4:17 PM, "Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman" <buanzo@buanzo.com.ar>
wrote:

> I've migrated all of my webservers to a mixture of Lighttpd and Nginx,

Why?  The "apache is bloated and slow" argument is just plain incorrect.
(FWIW, I have nothing against eitehr of those other than the FUD they spread
about apache.)

> BUT
> there are some PHP apps
> that do not work ok with fcgi.

So, they wouldn't work on lighttpd, I suppose.

>For them I use Apache. I use a lot of Apache
> for reverse-proxy
> setups, for instance, using lighttpd to serve static content, but keep Apache
> in the front for
> mod_security, for example.

Mod_security can front fastcgi quite easily.  There may be some instances
where it doesn't work for all types of rules. (?)

The point I was making is that php is not supported via mod_php in httpd
2.x.  Can you get it to work, yes, but if you ask question in php-lanf they
will tell you use apache 1.3 or fastcgi. Same in httpd-land.  Since this
fact has not been well publicized, people keep using mod_php and php
developers never actually test their code under fact-cgi.

Should someone draft an official "statement" that can be put on
httpd.apache.org?  It would help if we included an implementation of
fact-cgi, as well. Or, at least, gave some links to the more popular one(s).

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer