httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Simple MPM is in trunk
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:38:46 GMT

On Oct 29, 2008, at 07:32, Joe Orton wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:12:51AM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
>> I've added the Simple MPM to trunk:
>> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm/simple/
>
> Great!
>
>> - The name.  Someone suggest something better than "Simple".
>
> I like naming projects by grepping the dictionary, and grepping for
> 'm.*p.*m' came up with "wampum" (amongst 1173 others ;), which is a
> North American Indian word, apparently - seems fitting.

When I read this word, I hear bad actors saying lines like "Me give-um
you heap big wampum you not kill me!" on 1950s Cowboys-and-Indians
movies. Perhaps that association isn't there any more, but I think
that every time we use a North American Indian word on one of our
projects, we run the risk of going a little too far across the line of
what is respectful of a much-abused subculture in the United States.

--
If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---