httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: load balancer workers
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:42:29 GMT

On Oct 8, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Vinicius Petrucci wrote:

>> I don't think the approach you are suggesting will work.
>>
>> I would suggest duplicating the workers at startup, enable/disable in
>> each balancer to 'move' them.
>>

>> Correct. So you cannot change the assignment of workers to a
>> balancer during
>> runtime.
>> BTW: What is the goal that rises the need for you to change the
>> assignment
>> of workers to balancers during runtime?
>>

> Hi,
>
> ok. but if I cannot change the assignment of workers to balancer
> during runtime, how do I duplicate the workers at startup?
> where should I write the code for duplication?

Off the top of my head: create a shared memory segment that recreates
both the shared and non-shared LB parameters. This will allow you
change the assignments at runtime since those assignments will
be now me shared among all processes. Then, have your module
run before mod_proxy, so that your assignments are used and
mod_proxy is pretty much bypassed.

In other words, just have your module be a fork of mod_proxy et.al.
with all aspects shared.