httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: MPMs, COW vs Child Process Spawning
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:16:27 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> I don't think the intention would be to use a  single process on Unix --
> we would still spawn multiple children -- they would just be created
> using fork+exec of the httpd binary, rather than just fork.

This doesn't make sense - fork is far more efficient than fork+exec, we
shouldn't be supporting the less efficient one for everybody just
because it means less code.

Instead we should try and fork, and if fork fails (eg Windows), or where
configured (eg Leopard until Apple fixes it), it should fall back
gracefully to fork+exec.

Regards,
Graham