httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPMs, COW vs Child Process Spawning
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:38:30 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Is COW ability of fork important enough with modern memory and operating
> systems, to maintain two significantly different code paths for spawning
> children processes?
>
> Background:
>
> One of the things I would like to do on the Simple MPM is unify how
> child processes are created on win32 and unix.
>
> On Win32, there is no fork, so roughly speaking what the current winnt
> MPM creates a new process, and feeds the configuration over a pipe to
> the new child.
>
> On Unix, all of the current MPMs use fork, and do not execute a new
> process, but instead then drop privileges and continue running.
>
> What I would like to do, is change Unix to use the same pattern as on
> Windows.

I'm currently working on a portable apr process shared data
using shared memory (See apr-dev list about the proposal)
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200804.mbox/%3C4809F5F9.4060006@apache.org%3E
(Didn't get any replies to that, so it's either OK to proceed
  or it was totally non understandable ;)

This could help unifying the platforms that need some sort of
passing data between parent and child(s)

Regards
--
^(TM)