httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:04:08 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> FWIW, I don't believe in latest and greatest linux distro as a good
> measure, but I do believe that there are only a few platforms that we
> should make design decisions around:
> - Linux 2.6
> - FreeBSD 7
> - Solaris 10
> - Windows Vista
>
> If something is *fast* or *good* and can be done on all of the above
> platforms, I would argue we should do it from a design perspective, and
> I'm very much opposed to limiting how we design stuff based on the
> constraints of other less popular operating systems, cf
> epoll/kqueue/event ports.

I think we shouldn't forget that we have MPMs - if we need to support a
non mainstream platform, at the very least make sure that at least one
functional and acceptable alternative MPM exists for that platform.

Many of the "obscure" platforms can be potentially be embedded devices,
that see far greater but ultimately invisible deployment than the
"traditional" public facing webserver does.

Regards,
Graham