httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708462 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm: ./ simple/
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:06:13 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
  > Feels like we're going from "lets be portable" to "if it's not the
> latest&greatest linux-distro that I use lets drop it". Sounds like a bad
> decision to me.
> And lets continue being portable, please.

FWIW, I don't believe in latest and greatest linux distro as a good
measure, but I do believe that there are only a few platforms that we
should make design decisions around:
- Linux 2.6
- FreeBSD 7
- Solaris 10
- Windows Vista

If something is *fast* or *good* and can be done on all of the above
platforms, I would argue we should do it from a design perspective, and
I'm very much opposed to limiting how we design stuff based on the
constraints of other less popular operating systems, cf
epoll/kqueue/event ports.

-Paul