httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: strange usage pattern for child processes
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:13:37 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I thought that was the concern; that the pool wasn't released
> immediately. If you disable reuse, then you don't need to
> worry about when it is released... or I must be missing something
> obvious here :/

Whether the connection is released and returned to the pool (when pools
are used), or when the connection is closed (when pools are not used),
as I understand it now neither of these make any difference - in both
cases, the frontend connection to the client is flushed - causing a long
delay - before the backend is released.

The backend connection is held open during this delay, and isn't
returned to the pool or closed, and this has the double effect of
keeping expensive backend resources tied up for a long time, and
reducing the effectiveness of the connection poool.

If the backend connection is returned to the pool or disconnected the
moment the backend request is finished, the delay is avoided, and when
the pools are used, the backend connection can be reused immediately by
another thread, instead of only after the flush to frontend is complete.

Regards,
Graham