httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: strange usage pattern for child processes
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:37:19 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:

> Would not the generic "store-and-forward" approach I sent last week help all
> of these situations?  It effective turns any request into a "sendfiled"
> response.  Let me do some checking and I may be able to just donate the
> code, since it's basically a very hacked up mod_deflate crossed with
> mod_xsendfile.  It works for us, but we don't use the stock proxy, so not
> 100% it will help if the frontend and backend pools are somehow "linked."

This technique was used in the large disk cache work from 2006, and
worked very well.

Whether it will work in the current flow though I am not so sure. The
current flow looks like this:

read-backend -> write-and-flush-frontend -> disconnect-backend

As I understand it, the flush part is the killer. The disconnect-backend
should happen before the flush, not after.

Regards,
Graham