httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: strange usage pattern for child processes
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:20:43 GMT

On 10/19/2008 07:35 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> I agree in theory. But I don't think so in practice.
>>
>> Unfortunately I know so in practice. In this example we are seeing
>> single connections being held open for 30 second or more. :(
>>
>>> 1. 2.0.x behaviour: If you did use keepalive connections to the backend
>>>   the connection to the backenend was kept alive and as it was bound
>>> to the
>>>   frontend connection in 2.0.x it couldn't be used by other connections.
>>>   Depending on the backend server it wasted the same number of resources
>>>   as without the optimization (backend like httpd worker, httpd
>>> prefork) or
>>>   a small amount of resources (backend like httpd event with HTTP or
>>> a recent
>>>   Tomcat web connector). So you didn't benefit very well from this
>>> optimization
>>>   in 2.0.x as long as you did not turn off the keepalives to the
>>> backend.
>>
>> Those who did need the optimisation, would have turned off keepalives
>> to the backend.
>>

> Trying to grok things better, but doesn't this imply that
> for those who needed the optimization, disabling the
> connection pool would be the required work-around for 2.2?

No. Without a connection pool (e.g. the default reverse worker) the backend
connection does not get freed any faster than without a connection pool.
Ok strictly spoken you cannot turn off the connection pools at all (reverse
is also one), you can only turn off a reuse of the connections.

Regards

RĂ¼diger