httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: strange usage pattern for child processes
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:18:41 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> The code Graham is talking about was introduced by him in r93811 and was
> removed in r104602 about 4 years ago. So I am not astonished any longer
> that I cannot remember this optimization. It was before my time :-).
> This optimization was never in 2.2.x (2.0.x still ships with it).
> BTW: This logic flow cannot be restored easily, because due to the current
> pool and bucket allocator usage it *must* be ensured that all buckets
> are flushed down the chain before we can return the backend connection
> to the connection pool. By the time this was removed and in 2.0.x we do
> *not* use a connection pool for backend connections.

Right now, the problem we are seeing is that the expensive backends are
tied up until slow frontends eventually get round to completely
consuming responses, which is a huge waste of backend resources.

As a result, the connection pool has made the server slower, not faster,
and very much needs to be fixed.

Regards,
Graham