httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Kersken ...@lingoworld.de>
Subject mod_substitute behavior -- bug or feature?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:37:36 GMT
Hi all,

I tried to use a Substitute directive for a naive approach to get rid of
all HTML/XML markup from a document (just a textbook example).
Configuration looks as follows:

<Location /nohtml>
  AddOutputFilter SUBSTITUTE .html
  AddType text/plain .html
  Substitute s/<[^>]+>//
</Location>

i.e. there is an empty string as substitution text. When I try to
restart Apache (2.2.9, Win32 on Vista) with this config, it refuses to
start -- even without an error message (neither on console nor in the
error logs), just Vista telling me that there is a problem with Apache.
However, when I use a single blank as the substitution text, it works as
expected, but with a few ugly blanks at line beginnings.

I'm going to check later whether this occurs on other platforms as well
(triple boot configuration including Mac OS X 10.5 and openSUSE 11.0),
but for now I'd like to know whether this is a bug (there is no entry in
the bug report database, though) because a last-minute fix in 2.2.10
would be great.

Cheers
Sascha