httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speeding up mod_proxy_balancer on Windows
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:01:44 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Not exactly. I would prefer to fix the basic issue with Windows. If we need to
> support milliseconds for connection timeouts seems to be another story for me.
> Can some of the Windows gurus come to the rescue to either confirm and explain
> why it takes that long for connect to return after trying to connect to a closed
> port (on the same machine !!!) or if this must be a local issue on a specific machine.

According to the Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314053)

TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions
Key: Tcpip\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 0 - 0xFFFFFFFF
Default: 2
retransmits a connect request (SYN) before aborting the attempt. The
retransmission timeout is doubled with each successive retransmission in
a particular connect attempt. The initial timeout value is three seconds.

So, looks like with default of 2 retransmits there is at least 9
second delay.

Regards
--
^(TM)