httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Speeding up mod_proxy_balancer on Windows
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:46:20 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> On 10/13/2008 12:50 AM, Jess Holle wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I misunderstand things here, but isn't this connection timeout
>> setting used for more than just the timing out the initial formation of
>> the connection?  It would seem that logical that there would be a
>> connection timeout for forming the initial connection and another for
>> timeouts of responses, etc, but I had understood this was not the case.
>> We currently have connection timeout set very, very large as otherwise
>> we got timeouts when the backend URL was something very computationally
>> intensive that took a long time to respond with data (e.g. a good number
>> of minutes).  That should seemingly be distinct from an initial
>> connection timeout, but my understanding was that it is not.
>>
>> Am I just confused here?
>>
> No you are not. The next 2.2.x release will contain the parameter connectiontimeout
> where you can set *just* the connection timeout. The other parameter you are referring
> to is timeout. It will keep its meaning and will be used as a connection timeout
> if connectiontimeout is not set.

Ah, so we additionally need something like Matt Stevenson's patch (or
just change connection timeout to be a float or double rather than
changing its units) to allow connection timeouts of much less than 1
second (e.g. 0.125 seconds) to address my Windows issue with slow
connection rejection -- and that's /if/ Windows consistently connects in
less than that timeframe when it is going to connect.

Right?

--
Jess Holle