httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Speeding up mod_proxy_balancer on Windows
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:05:13 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Did you check whether the currently running thread "proxy_ajp connect timeout fix."
> (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200810.mbox/%3c580412.14555.qm@web58304.mail.re3.yahoo.com%3e
> and
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200810.mbox/%3c48EE6D0A.3040702@apache.org%3e)
> does fix your issue on Windows?

I was watching this.  I'll have to give this a try as it just became
clear from the latest of these messages that the fix applied to Windows.
> If httpd and the backends are running on the same machine this shouldn't take
> a second. The connect call should return immediately with an error code indicating
> that the connection was refused (if the port is down).
Yes, that's what I'd assumed.  It has become clear from testing on
multiple machines that this is not the case.  Another engineer did
testing with Windows APIs directly in .NET app and came up with the same
result -- over 1 second per port refusal.
> If not is it possible that there is a local firewall that causes this trouble?

I tried disabling that and other such steps.

I certainly concur -- the refusal should be "immediate" and certainly
/far/ faster than 1 second per port.

I've been left wondering if this isn't an odd-ball hack by Microsoft to
slow down remote port scans.

I'll give the timeout fix a try, but I'm not hopeful given the data so far.

--
Jess Holle