httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Speeding up mod_proxy_balancer on Windows
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:30:07 GMT
I had previously discovered that mod_proxy_balancer takes over 1 second
on Windows to determine that nothing is listening on the target port.
This becomes problematic if you are balancing over a sparsely populated
set of proxy ports.

A Windows guru here found the Windows GetTcpTable which would appear to
offer a quicker way to determine a port's status -- whereas doing the
obvious thing and attempting to connect takes over a second to fail.

I'd like to experiment with using this API to address this issue upon
attempted formation of the first connection for a given worker one is
balancing over.  Can anyone suggest where I should look to do add such a
call?  Eventually this should presumably be an APR-level thing, but in
the short term I'm just looking for where I can experiment with
inserting it in an #ifdef in the proxy code -- and getting a little lost
here, unfortunately.

--
Jess Holle