httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jorge Schrauwen" <jorge.schrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple MPM is in trunk
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:46:34 GMT
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Bing Swen <bswen@pku.edu.cn> wrote:

>  Jorge Schrauwen <jorge.schrauwen@gmail.com>  wrote on 2008-10-30 17:03
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Bing Swen <bswen@pku.edu.cn> wrote:
>
>> Paul Querna wrote on 2008-10-30 12:10

>>> How is it not a first class citizen in 2.2.x?
>>>

>> Here are some reasons:
>>
>> 1. Currently Win-x64 compilation is a painstaking mission (hopeless for
>> us), still no go to a 64-bit httpd.exe;
>>

> I have to admit it isn't easy to do so. But it certainly is possible!
> Due to lack of time on my part I've not updated the httpd wiki but you can
> find how to do it here:
> http://www.blackdot.be/?inc=apache/knowledge/tutorials/x64
>
> First few times are the hardest but once you setup a nice build environment
> its all good.
> Vista + vs 2005/2008 is generally bad. XP x64 + 2005 currently works the
> best, although 2008 works too.
>
> If you can't be bothered with the trouble, there are unofficial binaries on
> there too if you want to play with it.
>

>> 2. Many stock modules have no 64-bit configuration.
>

> Again it's a matter of recompiling, most windows users are spoiled and
> thing everything comes in nice binaries.
> libphp5, mod_macro, mod_jk, mod_security,... can all be recompiled for
> 64-bit, most are easier to do than httpd itself.
>

> Thanks for the nicely presented tutorial. I'll try to follow it and to
> understand what that 600+ PERL lines have fixed.
>
> So we have to get AWK, Bison, Flex and Sed to work, which are not required
> for a 32-bit build. And, we need a Perl Interpreter to run some "magic"
> conversions to get it built. That already made Win-x64 httpd a second-class
> citizen;)

the perl file doesn't do it's job completely though, you still need a
modified Makefile.win to fix some odd x64/release stuff that it wants in
release.

biggest problem atm is getting the apr dbd drivers for mysql and such.
(never got that to work)

 3. For some that compiles, there are lots of warnings of dangerous
>> conversions. Win-64 uses P64 (only pointers are 64 bits), instead of PL64
>> like Linux.
>

>> 4. Suboptimal network i/o and so second-class performance. Native support
>> of IOCP (completion port) needs a mapping from requests (not connections) to
>> worker threads, so requires httpd to do some "connection scheduling"
>> ("suspendable connections" as discussed before).
>>
>> Bing
>>

> Personally I'd love to see the httpd project release 64-bit binaries
> themselves. But it's a lot of work for not much gain!*
>
> * tests with the early 2.2 branch show little to no improvements.
>

> The improvement is httpd's virtual memory -- and actually very significant:
> we need to map a 500+ GB index into the memory space of httpd's child
> process. 64-bit space is our only choice;)

Well a proxy with a mem_cache would definatly benifit from it.