httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: [community] 2.3.0 alpha on October 1?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:54:40 GMT
On 9/2/08 3:15 PM, "bing swen" <bswen@pku.edu.cn> wrote:

> It seems the test (done by another guy) indeed used an "everything plus the
> kitchen sink" default Apache httpd at first, but then "dropping off 3/4 of
> all of the default modules" (maybe not that much, but only for serving
> static pages) seemed to have a not big help. The MPM used the default
> configuration (prefork on Linux and threads on Windows). [not your
> settings?]

Egads, no wonder they got such horrible performance.  Worker (or event,
maybe) seems to be the best way to go, at least based on our testing.
People who do performance "benchmarks" on Linux with default config and
prefork are careless at best.    We run a fairly "full featured" config, but
try to be smart about it.  We run internal benchmarks often and collect a
lot of performance statistics from live traffic (response times, etc.)  We
also, however, do not run any vendor supplied httpd build, either.
RedHat's, for example, is not for production websites, IMO.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer