httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Ward Comfort <icomf...@rescomp.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Adding full environment variable support to mod_proxy_ajp
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:00:47 GMT
On 4 Sep 2008, at 1:48 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Ian Ward Comfort wrote:
>> RewriteRule ^ - [C,E=AJP_REMOTE_USER:%{ENV:REMOTE_USER}]
>
> I think, that forwarding the full subprocess_env table is to much
> and usually not what is needed.

I agree.

> If you really have use cases, where there are lots of env vars you
> want to forward, you could think about allowing patterns on the
> variable names. That would make administration less tedious but of
> course sacrifice performance a bit.

I could do without patterns.  It's not the number of variables that's
a problem for me, it's that config lines like the above are too easy
to screw up.  (Plus I'd rather not have to worry about interaction
with rules I might use to do actual URL rewriting.)

To me, 'ProxyEnvVar REMOTE_USER' is succinct and effective.  But if
new directives are anathema, I'm willing to implement a different
interface, if a suitable one can be found.

--
Ian Ward Comfort <icomfort@rescomp.stanford.edu>
System Administrator, Student Computing, Stanford University