httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r691418 [1/2] - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ docs/manual/mod/ modules/filters/
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 23:50:20 GMT
On Sep 5, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Basant Kumar kukreja wrote:

> Just a note : sed original code also have AT&T copyright.
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/
> ucbcmd/sed/sed1.c
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/
> ucbcmd/sed/sed0.c
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/
> ucbcmd/sed/sed.h
>
> Regards,
> Basant.
>
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:20:43AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Apologies if this was already discussed and resolved, but I
>> see quite a number of:
>>
>>  *      Copyright (c) 1984 AT&T
>>  *        All Rights Reserved
>>
>> in various files... Can we track the IP of those parts to
>> ensure that we (and Sun) have the required license to use
>> them??

FTR, it is only necessary that Sun do the diligence -- we rely on them
to do so as part of the contribution process.  Since this is code from
the OpenSolaris gate, I know that Sun has a defined legal process
to vet their code before publication.  From the headers, it looks like
this was part of the Unix system licensed to Sun during the big
System 5 deal with AT&T, and thus I see no problem with accepting the
contribution from Sun.

However, our license text should be on top of each file, not after the
copyright notices.  I will fix that when I get a chance.

....Roy