httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r699481 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/server/mpm/winnt/child.c
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:28:26 GMT
wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> Author: wrowe
> Date: Fri Sep 26 13:15:10 2008
> New Revision: 699481

> Log:
> Reimplement ThreadStackSize to behave as on unix for any
> Windows 2003/2008 (XP/Vista) servers.  Virtual allocations
> will only consume pages once referenced, while the page
> alignment will vary by ThreadStackSize setting so that the
> maximum number of threads and minimum stack VM profile will
> be wasted.
>
> -            child_handles[i] = (HANDLE) _beginthreadex(

> +            child_handles[i] = CreateThread(NULL, ap_thread_stacksize,

Why did you change the _beginthreadex to CreateThread?
Won't that bring back CRT local Tls problems that forced using
_beginthreadex at the first place?

Also I have concerns with chosen 64K thread stack size for
some other threads in this patch series. Perhaps a 256K will
be more safe (particularly for winnt_accept), because 64K on
stack overflow OS will allocate 1M actually, so this either needs to
get carefully calculated or traced by some tool, cause larger
initial commit size might eventually use less memory.

Regards
--
^(TM)