httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Future direction of MPMs, was Re: svn commit: r697357 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: include/ modules/http/ modules/test/ server/ server/mpm/experimental/event/
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:45:09 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:

> I'm all for making httpd faster, scale better, etc.  I just don't want to be
> extremely disappointed if we rewrite it all and gain nothing but a more
> complicated model.  If we get great gains, wonderful, but I'd like to see
> some actually numbers before we all decided to rework the core.

I think the risk of being extremely disappointed is a real risk, but I
don't think it is a reason not to give it a try.

Perhaps a suitable compromise is to say this:

- Some people want to try to come up with a purely event driven model
that requires changing the MPM interface as necessary. Who knows, it
might give performance gains too!

- Some people want to keep an MPM that implements the worker model,
because we know it works to an acceptable level.

If we can achieve both at once, that will be ideal.

> (Disclaimer: yes, I'm partially playing devil's advocate here.)

Wearing the hat of someone who likes to try out new stuff, from time to
time you hit a dead end within the design of the server that makes it
either hard to or impossible to achieve something new.

A shake up of the core is likely to remove some of these barriers, which
in turn means that avenues open up that up till now have been dead ends,
which makes the development interesting again.

I think the second-from-worst case scenario is that Paul and others end
up exploring some cool ideas and they don't work, and then the fun was
in the exploring of the new ideas, so nothing is really lost. The best
case scenario is obviously that some cool ideas are explored and they do
work. The worst case scenario is that people do nothing.

Regards,
Graham