httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Future direction of MPMs, was Re: svn commit: r697357 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: include/ modules/http/ modules/test/ server/ server/mpm/experimental/event/
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:21:25 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
>> I know there are likely huge problems with this, but I would like to
>> see how far
>> we can push the Event MPM, figure out what to do better, if there is
>> anything, and then really dive into the 3.0 development before ApacheCon.
>
> How difficult would this be to support in the other MPMs?

Windows, Worker MPM and the similar threaded MPMs could do it easily.

But, IMO, I want to eliminate all of the MPMs for 2.4/3.0.

I believe the MPMs as they are designed right now, are both a layer of
portability, and a module that defines behavior or the model.

This makes all of the Unix ones very messy, with lots of copied code.
Just look at Prefork, Worker, Event, Leader, Perchild -- they all have
huge swaths of copied code.  And at their cores their behavior
differences could just be runtime decisions.

I believe that at a minimum on the Unix side, and hopefully Win32 too,
they should all be replaced with a single MPM, that has a  configurable
behavior, and uses APR as much as possible, with only a few small ifdefs
for portability.

Basically, one MPM to rule them all, with a configuration directive that
can make it act like prefork or the event MPMs.

-Paul